n. & adj. — Food
a smoked meat, usually brisket, that is often sliced thin and used in sandwiches (see Image 1).
Type: 1. Origin — Montreal smoked meat as a term is generally used outside of Montreal (see the 1998-2013 quotations), while in that city it is usually referred to simply as smoked meat. The term is most prevalent in Canada (see Chart 1). Note that the 1974 quotation refers to a play of that name, but it shows that the term (without -ed in that case) was already enregistered, i.e. symbolic of Montreal, by that time (Agha 2006).
See also ITP Nelson, s.v. "Montreal smoked meat", which is marked "Canadian" and COD-2, s.v. "Montreal smoked meat", which is marked "Cdn",
See also: poutine (meaning 1) smoked meat mechoui (meaning 2) Montreal bagel
- 1974  [Michel Tremblay's gifts as a dramatist are well established beyond his native scene, and Toronto is once more enriched with the first showing here of his early work, En Pieces Detachees, its title changed to Montreal Smoke Meat. It opened last night at the New Theatre, in Bathurst Street United Church.]
- 1975  Joe Rosenblatt looks like Central Casting's idea of a Montreal smoked meat king, except that the cigar clenched murderously in his teeth is a nifty little Henri Wintermans instead of a Havana.
- 1983  The only high moments are the barley vegetable soup, which is thick, redolent of split peas and hearty, the kishka, which has a good gravy and is like heavenly bread, and the Montreal smoked meat sandwich, which has the lively spice of The Main. In general, however, Boba has nothing to fear.
- 1998  A lot of restaurants and delis in Ontario boast of having Montreal smoked meat, but none of them delivers. When I worked in Ottawa, there was a Druxy's deli across the Sparks St. Mall from the office. Feeling homesick one day, I decided to try it.
- 2002  The two are in the process of setting up a friendly wager on Sunday's game. Should the Eskimos win, Landry will have to send an undetermined quantity of Montreal smoked meat to Klein. If the Alouettes win, Klein would be forced to ship some Alberta beef Landry's way.
- 2013  There's even a Reuben with Montreal smoked meat (Lester's) and sauerkraut.
- 2016  The collard greens were really flavourful, the hushpuppies light on oil and nicely flavoured with jalapeno, and the corn bread was perfect. I was less fond of the Montreal smoked meat because I found it a bit salty for my taste, but it paired well with the grainy mustard on the side.
Image 1: A Montreal smoked meat sandwich. Source: Wikimedia Commons. Photo: chensiyuan
Chart 1: Internet Domain Search,16 Aug. 2012