a grinder attached to the drain of the kitchen sink to dispose of food waste (see Images 1 and 2).
Type: 5. Frequency — The term garburator is almost exclusively found in Canada (see Chart 1), though the US terms garbage disposal or garbage disposer are also in use (see Video).
The appliance was invented in 1927 by John W. Hammes in Racine, Wisconsin, and made available in 1938 as InSinkErator (R) (DiFulco 2007, see Image 1). Though an American invention, the dominant Canadian term is garburator, which is virtually unknown in the US.
See also COD-2, s.v. "garburator", which is marked "Cdn.", OED-3, which labels it "Chiefly Canad.".
- 1948  The Garberator fits any standard sink. The Garberator means a cleaner, neater kitchen always. Peelings, rinds, scraps, eggshells and even bones can be instantly flushed away to the sewer pipes through the Garberator. Easily installed to your sink. Installation extra.
- 1968  Lovely modern kitchen equipped with dishwasher and garberator, 4 bed-rooms, master has 2 pc. ensuite.
- 1974  Modern 1 bedroom apartment. Available immediately. Wall to wall carpets colored appliances, 3 piece bath and garburator, $165. Bachelor apartment.
- 1987  For comfort there is plush carpeting, spiral staircases, bedrooms glitzed with mirrors, whirlpool bath, air conditioning, eight stereos, six bathrooms, showers, two ranges, a microwave, two barbecues, central vacuuming and a garberator.
- 1996  The kitchen area includes roll form Arborite countertop, built-in dishwasher, double compartment stainless steel kitchen sink with garburator and single lever taps, European style cabinets and vinyl floors.
- 2007  But I'm not interested in giving up my hot bath for a lukewarm, five-minute shower. I like my garburator even though I've just been informed that it's evil -- creating yet more solids for water treatment plants to process. And I still purchase what I set out to buy -- even if it's packaged in Styrofoam and plastic.
- 2015  Saanich Greener Garbage Collection encourages garburator users to save wear and tear on pipes and plumbing by putting kitchen scraps into their organics recycling carts instead.